Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?"

So yesterday was so busy that I didnt have time to blog. I made friends with some Isaelis and they decided to join me at St. Pauls (aka the one that looks like the US capital Michelle) yesterday morning. Absolutely incredible architecture. They didn't want to pay to get in so we split ways. The church inside was so beautiful and even though we couldnt take pictures,  I sneaked some anyway. Bad girl, I know. Well the climb up to the dome had no line and no extra charge so I started the insanely grueling climb. this was one if the big things that I wanted to do so I endured. The first flight of steps were nice and shallow, though then wrapping up around in a tower was quite trippy to stare at while climbing. The first stop was overlooking the inside if the church from the base of the dome....awesome view! Well that was only halfway up! The second flight of steps was much tighter, and much higher steps. It certainly made up for the lack of lunges that I never do! The second stop over looked the city....it was an incredible 360 view. Up AGAIN this next flight were a series of tight metal circular staircases....those of you wh kniw my anxiety with  heights should know how I was feeling right about then. The final view was at the tip top of the dome and once again a 360 view of the city. Such a wonderful experience.

Next was the Tower of London.  Michelle,  you shoukd have coughed up the mobey, it was awesome!  I had always thought it was the prison but it also housed royalty,  a chapel, armory, you name it. We had the best tour guide ever showing us around...he actually works at the tower to help keep it up along with many others. He was absolutely hilarious and had a ton of stories about the grounds. The Crown jewels were insane...its enough to feed a small country! Hahaha, actually more like a big one....the gems were huge and everything was incrusted and covered with smaller ones. I went through a bunch of the other towers there and I must say,  they kept the torture tower pretty PG....didnt even skim the surface of the things they did there. There was a perfect view of the Tower Bridge; it was a nice view while eating some scones with cream and jam. I still have no idea how thats supposed to be eaten....too crumbly!

 I walked across the bridge to go to the Design Museum which was right in the river. While museum was ok (Too small), the river view was to die for. Theres s boardwalk all along the river so I walked all along til I got to The Globe.  It was closed for tours and the performance later that night was said to be sold out. I wanted to  see if they'd have extra or leftover tickets but it was too early. I stopped by a pub to grab a drink and dinner which consisted of a meat pie (so good!)and the best beer I've had so far. Cricket was on the telly which was interesting as some old Brit tried to explain it to me.

I headed home to meet up with my hostel friends for a night on the town. 3 Israelis, a German and an American in a Chinese restaurant....in England. Kind of funny concept.  We went to one if the few bars open past 12 in Soho and it was great! Such a nice atmosphere and nicely designed bar. Unlike those dark ones in the states that try to hide their ugliness. The first 2 floors were casual with people just hanging out and talking. We started there and just had some great conversation about our cultures.  So fascinating to see whats the same and the views that we all share. We were feeling like some dancing so we headed upstairs to the 3rd floor and thats where the real party was. After a nice array of current and 90s music from the dj a cover band played and they were brilliant! Such a range of music including 80s some Pink Floyd, 90s rock and more really brought some energy to everyone. It was such a blast. I'll write later about today's adventure, so chip chip cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment