Saturday, September 7, 2013

£5 minimum at the pub? ill take 2!

Last day in England and I really don't want to leave. Today was my organized tour to Stonehenge, Bath abd the Roman baths, and Windsor castle. My original tour was supposed to be with an archeologist which I was so stoked about, but a couple weeks before my trip they cancelled due to an overbooked bus. He recommended the one I went on today and it was pretty good. The guide spoke about the sites on the bus before he let us off to explore on our own. Since it was an organized tour I was the youngest there by at least 30 years....hence why I decided to do the entire trip on my own and not on a tour. The first stop was Stonehenge and it was a beautiful drive through the country. We only stayed for about 30 mins since we were a bit behind but honestly that was the perfect amount of time. It was pretty cool to see, especially since ive taken a bunch of courses where I learned about it. Luckily it had stopped rainy and the sun was out so I got some pretty good pictures. Next was on to Bath which I actually did not know much about. it was 2 hours through the rolling hills of London and made for a much better drive than what I'm used to in Florida. I didnt know what to expect in Bath sbd I was pleasantly surprised. Being a Roman town originally, it had a strong European feel and I felt like I was in an Italian town. So nice! The buildings had to be built with the same type of stone as the baths were so everything had a really light and airy yet cozy feel. The baths were pretty cool...it was pretty much a nicer equivalent of what the YMCA is today. Hahaha....there was the main bath which was open to above and what you see in images of the roman baths, but there were a bunch of smaller pools in the complex. Seems like it would have been pretty posh back in the day. I got a pasty for lunch and it was incredible! Their sign of award winning pasties was definitely true. We continued on to Windsor which was another town I loved. This is the home of not only the castle which is one of many of the queen's residences, but one of the best private schools so it was not just a touristy town. Watching the show The Tudors, I was really excited to see the inside of the castle but the inside wad not nearly as medieval as the outside...it was very similar to Buckingham Palace. Still just as impressive though. I took a much needed coffee break....a little cup-a-teano mom....and just soaked in the scenes. I had been napping and so sleepy on the bus ride in between stops so I REALLY needed some caffeine. The bus ride home wasn't bad and it was interesting to see the 'burbs of London...kinda dodgy looking but that's how it goes in some cities I guess...im sure its not all like that. Made my last pub/beer stop on the way home and I'm currently on beer #2 since they have a £5 limit....how sad hehehe. I have an early flight which means I'll be up before even God so it will be a very chill and early night at the hostel...its live music night tonight, so hopefully it's better than last night. I'll post once more during my journey back. See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment